Today I noticed that my solar charge controller has been running for 100 days (it logs this among many other data points). Here are some highlights from the first 100 days:
- The system has produced 32 kWhs from two 100-watt panels. This is roughly 2% of the total electricity consumption we saw over the same period last year.
- Converting from DC current to AC current at low wattages is wildly inefficient. I usually run the wifi router and cable modem continuously off the battery and I lose about 40% of my produced energy to the inverter. It is much happier running closer to its peak (1000 watts). We should probably convert to DC.
- Something happened to my charge controller settings when I converted to 24 volts. Although the controller was still charging, I lost about 10 days worth of data (hence the gap in the chart) and wasn’t able to communicate with it over that time. A firmware reboot fixed this.
- Although very cold, clear days are when the panels perform their best, the sun just doesn’t shine for that long each day in January and February in Minnesota. The panels being on the ground doesn’t help either. Just from the middle of March to the middle of April I’ve about doubled my daily output.
- All that said, this chart doesn’t really show total potential of the panels on a given day. If I didn’t use much of the battery the day before, panel production the next day was curtailed by the controller to avoid overcharging the battery. I’m trying to match the loads I put on the battery with the “capacity” of the season, but that’s sometimes tricky.
- I recently learned we were accepted into the Minnesota solar rebate program for 2014! So with the help of a friendly solar installer, we should have a 2.8 kW grid-tied system installed sometime this year. Along with the grid-tied panels, the installer will be adding two panels on the roof dedicated to battery charging. Now I just have to wait…